Kennedy Walking Track
The Edmund Kennedy Walking Track covers a distance of 5km, hugging the coastline from the boat ramp at South Mission Beach through to Kennedy Bay.
Following Cyclone Yasi in 2011, the track required substantial reconstruction.
The Scope of Works included:
- Clearing of vegetation, dead wood, rocks, concrete debris, concrete slabs and edges of the track and planting of selected plant materials in order to re-develop and reinstate the Kennedy Track to its original alignment
- Resurfacing of the car park
- Installation of signage boards, direction and information signage
- Levelling of all pathway areas
- Installation of timber bollards
- Installation of elevated timber boardwalk, including concrete footing, reinforcement and fixing/bolting onto rocks, concrete and open ground
- Reinstatement and installation of timber bridges crossing creeks
- Reinstatement and installation of handrails, steps, staircase, beach ladder, safety barriers, timber decks, retaining walls, wheelchair passing bays, concrete slabs
- Installation of seats and picnic tables
A barge was utilised to transfer materials to various points of access.
All work was completed as per the Contract with the Cassowary Coast Regional Council, within the stated timeframe, and undertaken in accordance with environmental management as per the Environmental Protection Act 1994.